Thursday, April 18, 2013

Post surgery therapy

Tape is holding my foot together
3 months and one day ago I had my left foot reconstructed. Ive had pain in my feet for almost 5 years and my podiatric surgeon recommended reconstructing the arch to see if that will help. The doc explained that the surgery was pretty significant and that the recovery would be long and slow, that was no joke.

I had 4 procedures done, 2 tendons in the arch shortened, my achilles lengthened and my heel bone sliced off, moved and then screwed back on. Ive since had to have the screw removed due to an on-going infection.




 
So I have a foam roller which has been cut down the length. I do inversion and exversion exercises by rocking my foot. It helps with bilateral strengthening. My inversion totally sucks! and its very hard to keep my knee still.  Then I turn the roller around and do dorsiflex and plantarflexion movements. My dorsiflex has improved a lot since my achilles was lengthened.

Next is the stretchy band. I like doing stretchy band exercises. Its the same movement as the roller only with tension.

 

Most mornings I'm pain free but by midday I can barely walk, I always try to make therapy even with the soreness or do my exercises at home. Its pretty light therapy right now. Ive only been fully weight bearing for 2 1/2 weeks and I have a completely new gait to contend with which feels really odd. So for now its going to be a very slow on-going process.

No comments:

Post a Comment