Monday, April 22, 2013

Getting on my nerves!


Today I went for some nerve tests downtown.  Around 3 years ago, through a neuropathy support group, I met Dr Roberto Segura of the Chicago Peripheral Nerve Center. As doctors go hes really nice. He's attentive, understanding and non-patronising.

Not my foot!
Periodically I have a nerve conduction study (NCS) on my legs. Its painful and unpleasant for me. I have hyper sensitive feet and cant bare to be touched so the act of someone attaching an electrode and zapping my brains out isnt all that appealing.

I know Dr Segura does some kind of measuring on my feet because I always leave covered in pen. Im not technical enough to know why, Im guessing the length of the nerves or even where the muscle branches.

I was born with flat feet and recently had the arch reconstructed in my left foot
When I stand my feet look like this.
after discovering in 2011 that I had trapped nerves in my ankles, also called Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

The tibial nerve was trapped and I had surgery to release it. My recovery was fairly quick but my symptoms never got better.
Ive had the calcaneal sliced off and moved over to stop pronation. Cool right?
Todays tests showed the entrapment is back and I am waiting for a conclusive report from Dr Segura. I do not plan to have any more surgeries and Im hoping its scarring and that massage and acupuncture can help.
Until then Ill continue my post op therapy and train for my century bike ride. :)

www.neuropathyassociation.com

www.chicagopnc.com

www.ipnsg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment