Friday, May 24, 2013

The Moonwalk London 2013 by Fiona Rainforth

I know... I know, Ive been rubbish at updating my blog so here's a little treat for you. My first official guest blog by my good friend from home (our kids were kids together). Fiona recently became a marathoner... squeal... here's her story. :)

"Walk the Walk came into being 16 years ago when just 13 women Power Walked the New York City Marathon in their bras to raise money  and awareness for breast cancer. What started out as a one-off fundraising event, has blossomed into a thriving multi-million pound charity, raising to date in excess of £83 million for vital breast cancer causes."
The Moon Walk – London – Saturday 11th May



It was me (Fiona on a Sunday – Fi will do) and four other Yorkshire Lass’s who started training through the winter – and what a winter we trained in a lot of sub zero temperatures so a bit of rain, a thunder storm and blowing an absolute bitch seemed fine for walking round London Town – oh did I mention through the night starting at midnight to be precise, its for Breast Cancer, so in our Bras too!! We are not talking times here, its girls power and endurance!!  We are Team Black Sheep!! 


On the train we all had our moonwalk T shirts on and a few people thought we were a Hen Party, our excitement probably fuelled that train of thought.  Then when Carol gave us all a gift on the way down – Make up bags full of treats like foot soaks, dextrose tablets and small bottle of wine, we got giddy – and opened the wine!  Why not!!


Once settle in our room, we decided to find somewhere to eat, I used ‘around me’ so not realising I was phoning the pub directly opposite I asked them to run through the menu and I told them I ws 74 yards away – we settled over at the pub and watched the drunks roll in and out while we sipped water and wished we had carried on with the wine!!


We set off for the moon walk – feeling really giddy now, for no apparent reason I told the taxi driver I was a celebrity (Jennifer Saunders does the moon walk every year so I said I was her) and that I therefore would not need to queue for the Moonwalk!! The taxi driver drove us to the front gate SORRY ladies big mistake – HUGE – we now had to walk two miles to the end of the queue!!

Once inside the Moonwalk City which is a freakin massive pink marquee with 20,000 people all in decorated bras (mostly woman but some gents too).  There was supper provided for everyone nice pasta dishes and bottles of water and buns to eat.  The theme for this year was ‘Out of this world’ Some great decorations, we saw three avatars on stilts and some one with spock ears! Live music was playing so we danced then there was a minutes silence for the race as it was dedicated to 3 ladies who signed up for the race in October but had since died of breast cancer – not a dry eye in the house!! I did not want to spare energy on tears – they could wait!!


By now we all just wanted to do what we had trained hard for – WALK!!!
There were six starting groups and we were in group 4, not where we wanted to be but we had to wait and wait and it was cold and late, then eventually we were penned in ready for the off and away, not our fastest pace due to traffic of people, we got our heads down and walked, checking on our buddies all the way. Walking in the dark is tricky you have to watch your step all the time as I later found out.  The first mile seemed like 5 and the first three more like ten, we were all getting a little worried.  So we tried upping the pace and overtaking but this walk is on the pavements there are no closed roads so its tricky.  But the support is unbelievable, first there was a Suzuki Jeep with an air horn driving up and down, all the London cabbies tooting their horns and an incredible amount of people stood clapping all the way round with shouts of ‘come on moonwalkers you are doing a great job’. 


As we headed towards mile 8 the toilet announcement came – two miles to the loos!! Carol had a spring in her step, and the next two miles dissolved away!! But oh boy when we saw the queue for the loo, it was not good!!! The shouts of more toilets in 3 miles spurred us on and this is when I slowed down on the water – not good and the next toilets were more like 4 miles and when we approached the marshalls were announcing 15 minute queues!! We just walked by. Poor Carol,we were now in Knightsbridge and on behalf of all the moonwalkers who were seeking a place to wee, we can only apologise to the immaculate back streets of London that were tinkled on that night – it was in pure desperation!!  The next miles went quicker and we stopped at mile 17 for a loo break and some fruit.  The next two miles soon passed and we were passing the most amazing Landmarks, the sun rising of Buckingham Palace we saw it from both sides as we looped around, we took a picture of Big Ben at 4.45am and we saw the Houses of Parliament. I stumbled on the cobbles a couple of times going right over on my ankle but I was straight back up and walking, not lending any time to stopping. When we got to mile 20 we knew it was the equivelant of our Friday night walk but I was in agony, my feet were on fire and my legs were dead, I went and lay on some sculpture stopping the team. Then after our two minute break we headed out the final push and not long before we all became delirious along the Thames, we could see the big pink marquee and we just headed for it.


The crowds at the finish looking for their families cracked me, the tears of tiredness and fatigue washed down my face and we all held hands and crossed the line together.  I grabbed the lady giving me my medal as if she were a long lost relative!! The dead legs felt very stiff and my feet hurt, so getting back to the hotel room was a blessing. 
On the train home we were very quiet and slept for little bits between chats about the characters we had met along the way, to the posh Chelsea night clubbers to the drunks who woke up in a bus station and decided to walk with us to the same man who stood at the very start clapping his hounds saying very loudly ’Come on Moonwalkers you can do it’ the same man half way through ‘Come on Moonwalkers you are over halfway’ he was there at the end ‘Well done Moonwalkers you did it’.  Yes we did!! 

Although Fiona walked for fun it was also for a great cause, please visit her fundraising page and pledge to help find a cure for Breast Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment