Saturday, May 25, 2013

Run or Dye 5k Bridgeview

A few months ago I spotted a Groupon deal for this race. Its very similar to the Color Run 5k where you cover a distance of 3.1 miles while being pelted with scented colored corn starch.
I only paid $24 for two registrations which I thought was very reasonable especially because I still cant walk normally and this event is untimed. Under 10s were allowed to join in for free.



Packet pickup was downtown, but I didnt make it due to a hectic week and I had been in touch with Run or Dye via their facebook page and they confirmed there was indeed race day packet pick up, which actually wasn't too bad. The lines weren't too long and the volunteers did a great job. My friend Cathie, Cathies son, my girls and I were signed up for the 10am wave. Included in our race bag was a white cotton tee and a bag of dye. Here are my kids all clean.

Here they are after bombing each other with dye.
 

We headed to the race start line and joined the crowd for our wave start. The wait was longer than we'd hoped and the kids got very bored. Nearer the start line there was entertainment and giveaways but we just wanted to start our race.

When we set off we found porta-pottys and dye stations along the route, where we were color bombed by volunteers. The terrain was loose stone which I hated because Im now back in my cam walker for two weeks, so I cut the wiggling course and walked around a mile.
My Emma ran the whole thing and we regrouped at the finish line before heading to the Run or Dye store to buy more color.

There was live entertainment and the DJ planned a huge color fight are regular intervals. We joined the huge group of people and waited for the color fight. We had taken spare glasses with us so the dye didnt get in our eyes - very important.

Emma had a blast
My girls were in there somewhere

Its maybe not good for little ones
The more color the better for Elizabeth

Tips for driving home:
  • wear a couple of layers of clothes so that the dyed layer can be removed.
  • def take spare shoes
  • cover the car seats with trash bags or towels.
All in all it was a lot of fun and well worth the $12 each registration, normally $45, which I wouldn't pay. A few days on and Im still sneezing color and finding it in my ears. :-)

1 comment:

  1. oh good to know it is not good for little ones, I was debating on this for V

    ReplyDelete