Saturday, May 11, 2013

A bloody ride

My training buddy from kickboxing, Mario and I hooked up for a bike ride on Old Plank Trail this morning, somewhere Mario has never been and a treat for me, as Nicks in England I could have easily blown off exercising this weekend and stayed in bed, especially seeing as its 55 degrees out and bitter cold. blarghhh

We met at the Grainery in Frankfort at 7am and it was the first ever outing for my new tri bike, its been sat on the trainer since I collected it from Performance Bike, so I was a little nervous. We headed east and thankfully the cold weather and early start meant the trail was empty (I didnt even see one of my running group members which is pretty strange).

I soon relaxed into my ride and had a great low cadence for the first 9 miles, we both really flew and didnt stop chatting. On the way back the wind kindly changed direction and it was a very cold struggle for me. My anaemia means I tire out around mile 14 which is a real problem as most of my planned cycle races are over triple that distance.

Mario's knee :(
Closer to home we stopped to cross a road and in our rush Mario couldn't unclip fast enough and crashed out onto his knee and into my bike. Thankfully he completed missed my left foot but his knee was pretty badly hurt. 


This was the first ride where I wore my new ACE wrist supports too. I have carpal tunnel in my left wrist so both wrists need a bit of extra added support and I really liked them, I didnt notice wearing them the whole ride. 

I filled my sports bottle with Cytomax kindly introduced to me by Kelly the Culinarian, but I would have rather have had hot steaming tea!!! brrrrr

Really? who stole the other half of my new can???
After the ride, we sat and enjoyed coffee outside of Always Open (which secretly isnt always open) and I started chatting with a few member of the Folks on Spokes club. Really nice people, I feel I have successfully infiltrated their group and hope to ride with them very soon. :)



1 comment: