Sunday, June 23, 2013

Race around the World - Tinley Park Duathlon

This was my 3rd year competing and the forecast was a hot one. Thankfully not as hot as last year which was just ridiculous, but I tried to prepare Emma all week by demanding encouraging her to drink more than she usually does. It didnt work! I still cant run, so I chose to do this event as a team with Emma running and me biking.


We arrived (after a donut pit stop) bright and early and the participants were already buzzing around. Parking can sometimes be an issue, but this year it seemed more people had biked there, especially local residents.

I had collected our packet the day before from Together We Cope (17010 Oak Park Avenue) because Emma can stress me enough without arriving fully prepared. We waited in line to have Emma stretched out by Drs Dino and Marie Pappas from the Center for Integrated Medicine in Tinley. 

The weather was already warming up but sadly Emma wasnt :-/ After stretches it was time to start. 

Ems lined up with the rest of the 39 and under women and headed off to run the first leg of her 2 mile run. She hit the aid table and spotted her school gym teacher so she was very pleased. 1st 2mile leg 24:29.5, 12:15 :-)

As she headed into transition I set off to do my bike stretch. The first half was rough with a strong head wind which had me thinking of quitting the first 5 miles. It was only when I turned onto Volmer did it ease up and let me enjoy the ride. I did expel a lot of energy passing 4 deep riders. My bike 11 miles 39.10

I headed back into transition to tag Emma to start running her second leg of 2 miles. Off she went. The temp was even hotter by now and I was worried about her when she was slow to return. 

I headed out to walk her back into the finish line and was thrilled to see Aby and  Amanda had run out to find her. A few over-heating tears and she made it through her second 2 mile leg. 2nd leg 36:45.6, 18:23 minute mile.

I was really happy and proud of Emma for finishing her first 4 miler. I wish they would have given finisher medals because Im pretty sure her duathloning days are over.  

Verdict:  Fun, family duathlon.  http://tinleyparkduathlon.com/




From their facebook

Sunday, June 23rd, 2013. 2mi Run 11mi Bike 2mi Run

The Race Around The World Duathlon was started in 2001 with the goal of becoming the largest multisport event in the south suburbs. With the help of numerous volunteers, the race committee has accomplished this goal and continues to produce a great race for the community.

The event consists of a 2 mile run, 11 mile bike, 2 mile run throughout scenic Tinley Park and the surrounding Forest Preserve area.

A portion of the proceeds will benefit the local charity, Together We Cope. Together We Cope is a Tinley Park homeless prevention agency that provides assistance to area families. Visit them at http://togetherwecope.org/.

1 comment: