Thursday, June 27, 2013

Living with chronic pain.

Go to sleep foot
Its been six months since my foot surgery, progress is slow and in the mean time Im still dealing with my other pain symptoms. I had my second round of Shockwave therapy today and it didnt go as well as the first, Im feeling a little bruised. Dr Vittori had trouble numbing my foot due to scarring in the ankles. I waited almost 45 minutes for my foot to fall asleep and when it did it was in places which werent going to be treated - pah. When I left the office my foot was completely awake, oh well, one more treatment to go and I will have completed the full course.

At my first appointment, Dr Vittori asked me if Id ever tried a compound topical for my neuropathy symptoms, I have but it was a long time ago and it didnt work because I really needed nerve release surgery instead, which I didnt know at the time. 

So what is a compound topical?


A compound topical is a mix of several ingredients which treat different symptoms in the same area where the topical(lotion) is applied. For neuropathy sufferers this can be a great help as we get pain, tingling and burning in the same place at the same time.

So why chose a compound topical? well the pros far outway the cons. The compound can be tailored specifically to the patients needs, it also eliminates the need for oral medications which a lot of the time have nasty side effects. A compound also eliminates any unnecessary ingredients which patients may be allergic to and its a perfect solution for patients who have trouble swallowing pills. The only con I have read about is that the topical can sometimes cause skin irritation. 



So whats the magic ingredients? Well I can only speak for my own and Im happy to share.
  1. Ketamine - This medicine is a type of anesthetic.
  2. Diclofenac - This medicine is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and treats pain and swelling.
  3. Baclofen - This medicine is a muscle relaxer and treats muscle spasms.
  4. Bupivicaine - This medicine is used to prevent or relieve pain.
  5. Cycloprine - This medicine treats pain and stiffness caused by muscle spasms
  6. Gabapentine - This medication treats pain
  7. Ibruprofen - This medication treats inflammation and pain.
I have pain 24/7 and I relied heavily on Cymbalta for the past three years before going cold turkey and coming off it in March. It took me 3 weeks to recover from the withdrawal side effects and my neuropathy pains instantly increased, so I relied on icing to help ease my symptoms. 

I now apply my topical three times a day and although its very early days, so far so good, this compound definitely takes the edge off my pain and I cannot thank Dr Vittori enough for the script. I was lucky to only have to pay $25 and the rest of the cost was picked up by my insurance.

Dr Vittori's facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/VittoriFootAnkleFanPage?fref=ts

1 comment: