Monday, June 3, 2013

I don't have an accent!

OK, maybe I have a little accent compared to my American neighbours but I dont consider myself too incomprehensible (and I understand Americans just fine). 

Im originally for a small port town called Goole in East Yorkshire, UK. Not a particularly pretty town, but home nonetheless. My Dad was a fire fighter there for almost 27 years and I didnt move out of Goole until I was 21.

Ive holidayed in the states for at least 10 years before I moved over and clearly the Americans in the touristy areas are more attuned to different accents because I didnt experience the "glazed-over" look that I still do now, even after 5 years of shopping in the same places.



So for my friends and aquaintances who still dont understand me, heres a little lesson in Yorkshire!
  1. I pronounce my Ts! Water is war-Ter and not what-errr
  2. I say ZED and not ZEE! Zeb-ra not zeeeeeeeebra
  3. Ta means thanks
  4. Owt or nowt means anything or nothing ie: Ill have owt to drink ta.
  5. ey up means hello or hiya
  6. utch up means make room ie utch up so I can sit down
  7. pack it in means stop it
  8. bray means hit, thrash ie pack it in kids or Ill bray you
  9. britches means trousers ie pull your britches up
  10. chuffed means happy or thrilled ie Im chuffed to bits :)
  11. faffin means messing ie stop faffin about, we need to leave
  12. flaggin means getting tired ie I started flaggin at mile 15
  13. flag name for a paving stone
  14. flit means to move house
  15. frame means get a move on ie frame yourself we need to get going
  16. gaffer means boss
  17. loppy means itchy
  18. lug 'oil  means ear
  19. mind means watch out ie mind where you are walking
  20. parky means cold, chilly ie  its a bit parky out
  21. snicket means narrow passageway
  22. sneck means nose - keep your sneck out of my business! 
  23. our lass means my sister
The list is pretty much endless but heres a few for your enjoyment and youll definitely hear me say these.  Get studying therell be a test later!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment